Logo – one of the essential elements of graphic design (part 1)
Graphic design is an important part of today’s world and business. It can be defined as visual communication that helps in branding, enterprise’s image, and promoting awareness. In addition, since human perception of information is largely visual, graphic design should be an integral part of every company.
One of the essential elements of graphic design is the logo. Have you noticed how many logos we come across every day? Whether we’re browsing the web or watching TV, logos are everywhere. Some we remember immediately, and some just quickly fade from memory. It depends on how well it is designed.
What is a logo?
A logo is a distinctive symbol of an organization that consists of letters, numbers and pictures. A logo is said to be a graphic representation that represents an idea, so it is not a simple illustration. The first thing we recognize a brand from is a logo, so making sure your logo creation is professional and done right is what makes people remember it.
The first logos appeared already in ancient civilizations. Even then, people used various symbols for communication purposes. Of course, these primitive logos were very different from modern logos – these days logos are usually created by professionals with the help of a computer. However, its essence remains the same, that is, recognition. Therefore, it is argued that the logo itself is not for sale, but for identification.
Types of logo
Of course, the logos themselves can vary greatly. There are many classifications of the logo, we propose to distinguish five types of it:
- Text logo or Wordmark – it consists of an inscription or several inscriptions in a special or standard font. They are useful when the company has a sound name and you want to emphasize it. An example of such a logo is the Coca Cola logo;
- Symbol or Brandmark – such a logo consists only of a symbol. These are logos of well-known brands, from which the inscription has been removed. These logos are extremely memorable and, if the company becomes known worldwide, easily recognized. An example of such a logo is the Apple logo;
- Combined logos or Combination marks are the most common logos consisting of an inscription and a symbol. This is an especially good choice for new businesses that want to accurately represent their operations. However, they can also be used by well-known companies, such as the Dove logo;
- Logos consist of the first few letters of a name or title, lettermark or monogram – used by private brands or companies, as well as artists. These logos are good for fairly well-known businesses or those with long names. It is also suitable for those who want a minimalist design. Example – Facebook logo;
- An emblem is such a logo, where a text and a symbol are combined into one, that is, they consist of a text and a symbolic image. Emblems are suitable for those who want something unique. An example of such a logo is the Starbucks logo.
Why is a logo important?
In addition to its main purpose, a logo has several other advantages that bring many benefits to a business:
- Creates a first impression. As they say, there is no second chance for a first impression. And the logo is often the first noticeable element;
- Helps you stand out from the crowd. A unique logo sets your business apart from many other businesses;
- Forms a brand. Over time, the logo becomes an integral part of the brand. A professional logo creates a professional brand image;
- Promotes business and contributes to its popularity. A well-recognized logo can become a good advertisement that promotes the popularity of a product. For example, branded clothing or Starbucks mugs are great examples;
- Reinforces the message. Visual communication is extremely powerful. With its help, you can convey your message even better. Sometimes even a simple logo can reflect the luxury of a brand.